Monday, November 14, 2011

Our first letter from Ryan

Hey there Familia!!!

I have so much to tell you!!

First of all, my companion's name is Elder Defriez, and I promise that I'll send pictures asap. We have been having a great time and I have loved being there at the MTC. First, thanks for the Dear Elder letter, I love getting mail so please send some asap. :) To answer Dad's question, (if he'd seen anyone he knows) Elder Walker and Elder Scott, former bball teammates, are on my same floor in the Edward Stevenson Building. I'm on the 3rd floor. I also saw Elder Mathis (friend from school that entered the MTC the week before Ryan) on my first day at dinner so we are all good!! First day was great!! The video was exactly how it was, but as soon as I got into my classroom my teachers started talking to us in Spanish right away! It was really difficult to understand but it has been a blessing every day! Yay for Tanner!! That is way exciting to hear that he'll be playing bball and I'm also really happy for Alex!! (he made the 9th grade team)

Well, here is our daily schedule, get up before or at 6:30 depending on the day. Some days we have gym at 6:35am and other days we shower and get dressed. Then we go to our assigned classroom to have personal study. We are district 13B, and all of the other missionaries are going to Argentina as well, there are 10 in the district and 7 of us are going to Buenos Aires North. The meals are done by BYU dining so the food is really good and it is all you can eat! I've been eating healthy but I always have a cup of chocolate milk. ;) We use a computer training system called TALL (technology assisted language learning) and that really is helping. The biggest surprise was that on Friday, we taught an "investigator" all in Spanish! His name is Esteban and he will be our teacher by the end of this week! By that time we had already had a basic knowledge on how to bear our testimony and pray in Spanish, so we were able to put together a 20 min. lesson, but just bearing testimony and asking him how his day was. We have had two days of gym time and I've been able to play bball with Elder Walker and Elder Scott again!! But I'm definitely out of shape. haha But I've been doing pushups and crunches so hopefully that will even it all out. Basically we sit in our classroom for at least 10 hours a day, either in personal study, or language study or classroom instruction!

I had a wonderful experience yesterday. I had been struggling a little with getting used to the new routine and I was feeling a little homesick, but I finally decided to pray about it and really ask for help. So I spent 20 min. in class praying for help and to comfort me and to give me the Spirit. I then asked Heavenly Father to help me in my studying, and then I opened up my scriptures straight to Enos and I read the entire chapter. I realized that I hadn't been praying enough and that was why I was feeling down. So now I'm getting there to where I'm constantly feeling the Spirit and talking to my Heavenly Father.

I love you very much!!! I promise I'll send pictures asap and I'll probably email you around the same time every Monday. Have a great week!! Hope everything is going great and please write. :) LOVE YOU!!

Love,
Elder Pittard

No comments:

Post a Comment