I had asked Ryan what he wanted to have for dinner on his last night at home. He said he didn't care. I'd been so busy doing other things that I really hadn't thought in advance what to make for dinner. This morning I got the idea of making a Thanksgiving meal, but when I went to buy all the food I discovered that no one was selling fresh turkeys yet...they were all frozen...and that wasn't going to work for a last minute Thanksgiving meal! I even went to two grocery stores. Then I thought to buy some turkey meat from the deli....it cost more than a frozen turkey, but it was better than nothing. I figured it would taste okay with plenty of homemade mashed potatoes and gravy.
Of course it wasn't the same...we all called it "fake turkey"...ate it and had a good laugh. My Mom was able to come and be with us that night (my dad was traveling).
After dinner we watched the first half of a special that was on tv between general conference sessions last April....about the 50th Anniversary of the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah. I had recorded it, knowing that Ryan would be entering the MTC this year. That was fun for all of us because it showed what the missionaries do in the MTC after they leave their families at the curb. It was fun to picture Ryan being there...putting on his missionary name tag, being shown his room where he will live for 8 weeks, and meeting his companion....and then getting to work. Lots of studying!
At 8:00 we all went to the stake center and Ryan was set apart as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by our stake president. Our bishop, who has been a great friend and example to Ryan the past four years, was also there. What a special experience for our family. I could only imagine what was going through Ryan's mind. Afterwards, we all gave Ryan hugs. It was so sweet, when Ryan picked up Camryn she laid her head on his shoulder and clung to him for what seemed like a couple minutes. So tender. I'm sure she felt something.
Elder Pittard with our bishop and stake president
Looking at all the missionaries serving from our stake
Most Sunday evenings for the past 8 years our family spends time singing together. I play the piano and we all take turns choosing a hymn. I have loved that time with my family. So after he was set apart we went home and had family singing time one more time. There was such a sweet spirit in our living room. A precious memory for me. The last song we sang was God Be With You Till We Meet Again. After we dried our tears, we all shared a few words for Ryan.....then we all had some chocolate pie! :)
Then it was time to pack...he had gathered everything in the family room...and I have to say that when we first read over everything on the list, I thought...how are we going to fit everything in two suitcases?? But then when we had everything laying out, I knew it would all fit. :)
That night Rachel wrote Ryan a very sweet letter...
Dear Ryan, I am glad and sad that you are leaving on your mission. I am sad because I won't see you for two years, and I am happy because you will go out into the world and teach people about the church. Also, so others can be with their families forever. I love you as a brother and I hope you have a good mission and you have fun. Bye!! Sincerely, Rachel
I think she summed up how we all feel. :o)
No comments:
Post a Comment