Monday, April 1, 2013

The Lord has shown all of His wonderful blessings

How's it going?
 
Well I'm super excited for all of the exciting news that I received and that I'm receiving!
 
First of all, so that you don't have to worry, L-- was married and baptized, confirmed and ordained a priest all this last week. We had two experiences that showed that the devil didn't want them to be married or baptized, but the Lord has shown all of his wonderful blessings.
 
Second... yay!!! congrats Tanner! That's awesome and I'm super excited for you and for all of the wonderful oppurtunities that you are going to experience.
 
So I sent my camara in to a member of the ward to see if he could fix it, I still don't have it, I should get it back this week. So E Carreto is going to pass me some pics of the baptism and of the marriage. So we should be fine. But I loved the pics that you all sent, haha that's some crazy hair!! and you are all so big!! Congrats on the bball awards and accomplishments and you don't have to be bashful for playing hard Alex. ;) That's an awesome story and you both look sharp in your shirts and ties. Also, that's a great camara effect Tanner, even though I do believe that you can jump that high, haha that's awesome that we are so good at bball, it's all thanks to our "baller" dad. :) haha
 
So about your week first...
Thanks for the letters and the notes, you all are so awesome and sweet to send me a thought every week, I know some elders that not all of their family writes them everyweek, I understand with brothers and sisters out of the house, it might be difficult, but Tanner I will try my hardest every week to write you a decently sized letter to make you feel good :) I hope you enjoy these last 15 weeks with your family until you have to spend 104 away from them, but if you are focused it passes by fast.
 
So to describe what happened with Sister Gulbrandsen, so we were sitting there in the middle of weekly planning on Thursday, I was thinking that Tanner should've received his call by then and I honestly was thinking about it when I received a call from Hma Gulbrandsen. She was like how's it going elder? Was one of your brothers expecting a mission call? I was like yah!! but with lots of enthusiasm, haha I was excited. She was like yup, well he received his call, would you like me to tell you right now, or do you want to wait until Monday to find out from your family? She was like I don't want to spoil the surprise but I felt like you would like to know. So I was thinking, should I wait, but then thinking having to wait until Monday was too much for me and I was like, just tell me right now!! So she started to say, well he has been called to... and then she started breaking up, I was like no!! then I heard July 10th,... the phone service down here... then I was like, hma I didn't hear what you said, then I finally heard Macon, Georgia and I was so happy to hear that and I was super proud of Tanner for making this decision to serve the Lord. So then she was like, is there anything that you want to say, and she wrote exactly what I said, so that's what happened. haha Then I was thinking about that the rest of the day and telling everyone that my brother had received his call. Then I was like, dang it, he gets a car and air conditioning, but it's hot and humid in the south like it is here, so then I was pacified, haha, So congrats to Tanner again. So did anyone guess correctly where Tanner would be going? How many people were there? That's great that family could be there for support. I'm glad that he was picked to this specific mission, it's the mission president that he needs and I know that he will learn a lot from him. 
 
Yeah Tanner!! I'm so happy for you and for this accomplishment, it will be weird writing to my brother as a missionary, it'll be fun that we served at the same time. I'm still going to be one hour ahead of you in time, so we will be able to communicate by email ;) haha So I tried looking up your mission limits on LDS maps and the computer shut down, that was one of the reboots, but I'm sure that you'll love it!! I'm kind of jealous that you are in the states and that you are going to live an extra two years in the south than I did. We already spent 10 years of our lives down there, and maybe you are being sent there to baptize someone that is a distant relative, you know the ones that are from Georgia.  I think of all of the times that we drove right next to Macon, Ga on our way to Gma and Gpa Pittard´s house. Oh well, it will be tough with all of the crazy southern baptists, but I did read an article in the Feb. Liahona about a family that was living in a small 5000 person southern baptist town in GA and how they had a great influence on the community, so you just need to be the example.
 
I remember receiving the call from mom on the priest high adventure trip and feeling the butterflies and then having to wait 2 more days, and I don't know how mom did it! haha ;) That's fun that Jeremy received his call as well, but you will be entering the field before he is in the MTC, so crazy!! Yes I was wrong, GA was my 92nd guess ;) haha That's fun that Bro Butler came and he is a capo!! You looked great opening up the letter and it was fun to guess when you read the place out loud, didn't your eyes jump straight to the spot to where you were going? I remember that I was the first one to know out of everybody. I'm glad that so many friends were able to come over and to support you. Keep me updated on all of the mission calls and when people get home, I know that the date is getting close for a couple.
 
Mom!!! hugs and kisses for you :) and for Camryn and Rachel. :)
 
So we had the most intense moment of my mission last Monday night with L-- and R--, so we were in another cita far away from where they live, we had a planned cita with them, but then it started to thunder and rain hard, so we were tempted to just stay in the warmth and dry place, but as soon as I thought that, the rain stopped and so we were like, well it's a sign that we need to go, it didn't rain the whole wait for the bus, the bus ride and the walk to L--'s house. When we were waiting for the bus I called L--, to let him know that we would be passing by a little late, he answered frantically, telling me that there was a problem with his señora. So we got there as soon as possible. They had been fighting and arguing over the littlest things, all of the frustrations were being brought out at each other and they were determined in their mind that they weren't going to be married the next day and that it would be better that they separated. I was freaking out, like no!! What's going on?! So we sat there listening to them, R-- left the room crying, I was prompted to follow her and try and console her. I was so sad for them, they are part of my life down here and I felt like we were the parents for them. So saying a heartfelt prayer as I directed myself to the other room. There she was standing there, L-- stayed sitting down and so separated we were talking to them and listening. I honestly don't know how I did it, but the promise of the Lord, if that we listen we can be able to know what we need to say. So R-- is that type that is hard to get her feelings out, so I felt prompted to just sit, ask a couple of deep questions and then to just listen and then the Spirit would guide me to know what to do. So we started talking and the first thing that I felt prompted to do was to have her realize that the devil was really trying super hard. Then I was prompted to tell her that we need to say a prayer asking for help and to be able to forgive L-- and herself. So we knelt down and she prayed to ask for strength and help. Meanwhile E Carreto was talking with L-- and I really think that I don't believe that I would've been able to help L-- in the way that he needed like R-- was able to learn from me. I've never been married and I've never been in a situation like this, but I feel like I was the best prepared to try and comfort R--, I'm better at listening and trying to reason with people. L-- isn't like that, he just talks and talks just to talk, and E Carreto who is a genious with the scriptures, especially in the bible was able to get to him through the scriptures, L-- really listens to the scriptures. So I was prompted to tell R-- is that she needed to be patient and to help raise this spiritual child in L--, and that the Lord desired that they were married. So then we brought them back together and they were hugging and saying sorry and the marriage was back on. And to add to the intensity, it was thundering and lightening when we first started talking to them. So it was just like the movies. I´m so greatful for the Spirit and its guidance and for touching their hearts that night.
 
So the next day we get up early to travel to the marriage place, the bishop and his wife were there to be the witnesses that lived in the city. It was a short and simple ceremony but it was great to finally see them married.
 
 
That night we passed by their house and we were able to give them a pic of the Buenos Aires temple. The next night was alright with them as well, they were having crazy things going on in the house and so we dedicated the house, I'm glad that we have always dedicated our homes. I've learned some crazy stuff down here. I feel like there are more crazy things that happen down here.
 
Then on Thursday night, we get there and they had been fighting again, it's hard, they are learning on how to live together, they are so prideful sometimes and they can't seem to recognize their own faults before they can forgive the other. Again we separated them and we had them do an activity, again led by the spirit. We brought them back and L-- was still trying to get his point accross and that's when we decided we need to take control of the situation. E Carreto, who is really quiet and not an expressive guy, got all worked up and gave a powerful sermon where the Spirit was present, he talked of forgiveness and repentance and the love and service and listening, then I had my turn to tell them that they had lots to work on and that we were going to fight with them to work it all out. Changing the mood of the conversation got to them this time and they were all good to go for the baptism. I feel like their parent lots of times, I love them so much and I just want them to be happy and it hurts me to see them fighting. I'm starting to realize what being a parent means.
 
So then on Friday, L-- passed the interview and I did two interviews for the Boca, then on Saturday we had a 4 person combined baptism with the Boca. I was able to baptize L-- and he was awesome, saying that he really felt like coming up out of the water that he really felt like a new person. Afterwards the ward had put together a celebration for them and there was food and a wedding cake and it was a great surprise for them. Then L-- sang love songs to R-- and as we were leaving, they all had started to dance, you got to love Latin culture.
 



 
 
Then Sunday he was confirmed by E Carreto and then right afterwards he received the Aaronic Priesthood. So that was an awesome ending to a crazy week and to a crazy 3 months of knowing L-- and helping him come this far.
 
I still haven't been able to find out if I have received a package so we will see if I'll get the chance this next week. This next week are changes, again, I can't believe it. I'm so excited for general conference and to hear the words of God for us in these days. I've never been so excited to watch a general conference as I am right now. As a missionary it's awesome because it's a little different from the normal schedule but you just learn so much!
 
So I basically told you all about my week, it's weird to think that when Tanner leaves I'll have only 4 months to go. It's a weird feeling to think that this is going to end one day, it doesn't feel like it.
 
Oh yah, on Wednesday morning we had a conference with President in Belgrano, and so we left on time to get to the subte (subway) and it turns out that the subte wasn't working in the only two stations that we had to use, and the lines for buses were way to long, and so we walked over to another subte line and then we transfered over to another line, and then we walked 8 blocks to the right line that was working from that point. I'm glad that I have such a great knowledge of this city and how to manuver around. We were able to get there at 9:55 after an hour and a half traveling in the traffic and the heat of the morning. There were others that got there like at 10:30, an hour late, but thanks to my knowledge of how to get around, I cut 30 minutes off of that. Still it's hard depending on the undependable public transport system especially when you have an urgent matter to attend.
Well I hope that you all have a great week and that you are safe and that you enjoy our beautiful country!! Im' proud to be an American!!
 
I love you all!!! so so much!!!
 
Love,
Elder Ryan Pittard
 

No comments:

Post a Comment