Oh I love you all so so much!!!
How's it going? You surviving up there in the great states? Wow, so much has happened and I'm going to make sure that this gets to you all. :)
First of all, the pictures, yay they worked this week! There's one of all of us in the pension, Elders Stocking, Yo, Giannini, Peacock, and Rose. Haha we had fun together. :)
How's it going? You surviving up there in the great states? Wow, so much has happened and I'm going to make sure that this gets to you all. :)
First of all, the pictures, yay they worked this week! There's one of all of us in the pension, Elders Stocking, Yo, Giannini, Peacock, and Rose. Haha we had fun together. :)
Then the picture of the baptism, I'll explain it later.
First of all, what an amazing conference. I'm going to tell you all about it. It was held in the stake center in Belgrano and so we took the subway to get there, like a 10 minute ride, so a not that far. We watched all the sessions in English in the institute building that's right next to the stake center. There were all the American missionaries and some other passer bys and others that I guess were trying to enhance their English or to experience it how it really is. I'm so glad that it was in English because I saw how it's done down here. It's the exact translation with the translators speaking right over the voice of the person so all you can hear is the Spanish. I think that they translate or read it in the conference center. The music was in English and they might have Spanish subtitles. It was live, the way that they did it was through the internet. We were all stationed up in the institute and connected a projector to a laptop and had it live in English. And so yes, priesthood was at 9:00 pm, and so we didn't get to watch it and we will probably just have to read it when it comes out in the Liahona, but I'm sure that it was really good. Yes, we had investigators come. We helped look for them before the sessions started and then Elder Giannini sat with them in the Spanish section. We bought pizza, the $2 kind ($8 pesos) haha for Saturday's lunch and then we picked up our lunch and had rice with potatoes and really good meat for the Sunday lunch and we just ate in the institute building. I got the chance to watch the special feature on the King James Bible and so that was interesting. But yes, all the talks were wonderful and I took the best notes that I have ever taken! It was so fun and it was such a spiritual high! The music was amazing, especially the Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing Sunday morning right after President Monson. My favorite talk right now was President Ucthdorf´s, the 2 word sermon, haha, "stop it." I felt that it applied to me and that I need to humble myself even more, especially that I'm on a mission and yes, every time they mentioned missionary work I thought about you thinking about me. haha
Alright to try and answer all of your questions. haha Thanks for the letter also :)
First, the situation with the apartment, it's well... still not fixed and probably not for another week, or at least that's what they told us this morning. There's not a smell of gas anymore but the place is a little messy and so we have to live in Juncal for one more week, or I don't know right now. Oh and our water line broke or something so they have to do some major work to get it all fixed, but right now we are safe and the work goes on. Yes, travelling everyday does take a little longer because we do have to walk 6 or 7 more blocks past our area every night. The first couple of nights we didn't have keys to their apartment so we had to wait for them, but now we have keys and can function a little bit better. Yes, I slept on the ground. We were with a ZL two Thursdays ago and so we walked in the door and it was filled with the smell of gas and so we called President and he said to go and sleep somewhere else for the night, so since Juncal was the closest we went there. So that was an adventure because there were already 3 elders there, and we brought another 3, so there was 6 elders in the apartment for one night and that was crowded, but we had fun. So all I had to sleep with was my blanket, pillow and sheet and so I didn't sleep well, only like 3 hours at the most. And the other thing is that their apartment has cockroaches and so there was always the thought of that. Then the next day we found out that it wasn't going to be done in a week so we had to stay in Juncal for a week, so we worked with the office and they got us a mini moving truck and so we packed away a suitcase of stuff for a week and both of our mattresses and food to survive for a week. So that's what we did. It has been fine and we have been working out of there. So just the missionary life. haha
So I guess I'll tell you about the transfers. Elder Rose, the trainer of Elder Stocking and Elder Peacock (he arrived late because of visa troubles) left to go south to Rio Gallegos to be a ZL down there and so he found out last night and got all packed and they came and picked him up at 3 AM this morning. So exciting for him. Now Elder Stocking is going to stay because Elder Peacock left also. So for me, I'm staying with Elder Giannini for at least one more transfer in Palermo. So sorry Alex, no mountains for now. haha The next change will be right after Mother's Day. Wow, amazing how the time flies! Last transfer we had 115 total lessons with 4 baptisms and confirmations, so a pretty good 6 weeks. And no, I haven't been in the villa since I last told you, and me and my companion are getting along fine. (haha I'm writing in a Word doc which is in Spanish and so basically all of my words are underlined in red haha) Anyways, I'm getting along fine with Elder Giannini and we are going to be better this transfer. I'm really learning the language really fast and now I can have a basic conversation with almost anybody. My understanding is a lot better and I can basically understand what's being said. I've been working with this Spanish mini textbook every morning, working on my grammar, and just all around Spanish language study.
Alright, now about the questions from last week…no, I never print off the letters, but they are all saved in the email site. It would cost a lot to print them off every week so I just read them once and treasure every second. Yes, I changed the picture size from the 16:9 to a 4:3 so I'm glad that worked. Yes,the toe situation, it was painful. I still have pain when I press it down a certain way, but yes, I kind of knew what to do. I released the puss and cut out the nail as best as I could and yes, I put the cream on it. So it doesn't pain me anymore and I'm walking just fine. Yes,I did the carving. I added it to the array of drawings and carvings that are found on our desk. Mine is actually the most religious haha, just mostly saying baptize bro and a storm trooper helmet and a batman symbol. Haha It's just been here forever and hundreds of missionaries have used it. The shoes are mine and that was just after walking through the villa. But I shined them up real nice and the city streets don't make them that messy. The only thing that I have to worry about in this city is the dog poop that's everywhere on the sidewalks and in the streets. Let's just say it's a different culture down here. The haircut was 40 pesos, which is a lot, but it was sorely needed and was the lowest price that we found; the city is expensive. The pink stuff was a sort of dessert from powder that you can make by adding milk. My cooking time was limited this last week but Elder Stocking made some things like, deep fried treats that are really good. The cookie pieces were a sad attempt at a new cereal for me. I broke some cookie pieces and added milk and ate it like cereal but they got soggy super fast and it was nasty, but I was trying none the less. haha Oh, and the sweat shop is where the Vallejos family live and work. They make stuff for companies around here and they live 3 stories below so they don't get out much. That's the family that I took the picture with. Marta, the oldest, is the grandma and they are all from Bolivia. Mario and Pati are less actives and have two kids named Harold and Valentina. Martas is the other daughter. The one that I took the other picture with is named Maria. Then they have a good family friend named Edgar, he's the skinnier guy in the picture. So they are always really nice to us. Then the last Sunday of last transfer, back in February was the farewell of the elders going home and we got to go and watch. It was in the stake center in San Fernando so the members can come and say goodbye and the missionaries also. So that's what it was.
Ok, more questions and comments from this last email… Congrats Tanner on Mr. Hustle. haha Keep up the good work. And let's see, for prom you should do something that's not too crazy but not too dull and simple. Well, I guess simple is easy and always works. So maybe try something simple, I don't know, it's your adventure to figure out on your own. I asked with flowers both times, but do what you want. :) That's exciting for Dusty!! Wow, thanks for telling me because that's awesome, and Spanish speaking too! Yay, another friend on a mission. haha Oh, out of the two teachers I would pick Ha. I heard she was a good teacher. Then I would say chemistry, only because that’s what I took my sophomore year.
Alright, about my week… last p-day we went to the huge statue that's in the middle of two really big streets and took pictures. So Tuesday the coldness hit!! Well, for them down here, it was like 65 degrees or something like that, and it was funny to see everyone walking around with their big huge winter coats and all bundled up to take on the cold wind. haha But down here that's a cold temperature, for them, but it didn't affect me, though that night I wore a sweater just to make it more comfortable. :)
So we are teaching this man from Holland, the American-looking man, his name is Eddy K. super long and Holland-ish name haha. He has been investigating the church since the last general conference in October. He has to take care of some problems from the past, but if all goes well, he should be baptized the end of May, which is really big news. It's so fun to see the change the gospel brings to peoples' lives. Eddy, who is basically a member,because he watched all the sessions of conference and went on his own to the Priesthood session. Then with Marializ, yes the baptism for her happened in 3 days. We were sitting there in weekly planning and we were like, why can't we baptize her? She's not married and isn't living with him right now, so we got the ok from the ZL's and we made arrangements for her interview that night. Then we made all the arrangements for the baptism and baptized her Saturday night the 24th. It was really special because she was really prepared and is eating up everything about the gospel, just like her mom. They have the spirit with them and they are always so happy around us. The man that baptized her helped teach with us a lot and it was his first time to baptize someone, so that was special and he was really excited to do it. :)
So now that we've baptized all of our fechas we are working really hard to get some more. We have some possibilities, but none that are right around the corner, well at least not yet, but we have faith that the field is white already to harvest. We are working with this 17 year old young man named Brian. He's a previous investigator that we found in the book that has been listening to us again. Then Juan, we haven't had another cita with him, we had the one with him and he's really confused about religion right now. He has read more than 15 different forms of the Bible and so now we have to see whether he read any from the Book of Mormon. Then after that there really isn't that much right now, so we are going to go off of the counsel of our president that the converts are the way to find new investigators. So we are going to focus on that this week. Jorge is really excited to share and learn more. We actually had Marializ's husband, Victor, come to the Sunday morning session, he came for the weekend. Then we have to work with Jeffer also.
So Friday night I bought ice cream for the first time down here to end the month and the transfer, and it's good I guess, haha, I miss the American made stuff but that will have to wait. haha Then I also decided that my team for soccer down here is River Plate, sounds just like it's written, which is funny. haha The only reason I chose that team is because of the initials RP. :)
So I now want to bear my testimony that I know that this church is true! That we indeed have a living prophet and his apostles that are on the Earth today. You can just see it in their eyes when they are testifying of Jesus and his saving power. This last conference increased my testimony a full ("a fool" --which means a lot haha) of my belief in God and Jesus Christ and His love that He has for me and all of His children on the Earth and especially in Buenos Aires. I have seen His love shown through me as I have born testimony and have brought people to baptism. I am really grateful for this opportunity to serve and I can't believe that I have already been on my mission for 5 months, and almost a fourth of the way done, already!
I love each one of you and feel your prayers and support. Thanks to other family and friends that think of me a lot. I will try and write some letters when I have the time, but just know that I miss all of you and I'm thinking of you always. Have a great week and I can't wait to read next week's letter. I love each and every one of you so much and you are all growing up so fast. I can't wait to receive the package, and I hope that I can get it soon because it might sit for a while haha, but thanks again. I can't wait to get more pictures and letters as always. The work goes on, I'm part of that stone cut out of a mountain, we are all a part of it. Share it whenever you get the chance, there are people everywhere that are prepared to receive you, like it says in Alma 24:13, the hearts of men are being prepared to receive the Word of God.
Hasta la semana que viene, (until next week)
Love,
Elder Ryan Pittard
Oh and happy Easter too, Christ lives!!
Alright to try and answer all of your questions. haha Thanks for the letter also :)
First, the situation with the apartment, it's well... still not fixed and probably not for another week, or at least that's what they told us this morning. There's not a smell of gas anymore but the place is a little messy and so we have to live in Juncal for one more week, or I don't know right now. Oh and our water line broke or something so they have to do some major work to get it all fixed, but right now we are safe and the work goes on. Yes, travelling everyday does take a little longer because we do have to walk 6 or 7 more blocks past our area every night. The first couple of nights we didn't have keys to their apartment so we had to wait for them, but now we have keys and can function a little bit better. Yes, I slept on the ground. We were with a ZL two Thursdays ago and so we walked in the door and it was filled with the smell of gas and so we called President and he said to go and sleep somewhere else for the night, so since Juncal was the closest we went there. So that was an adventure because there were already 3 elders there, and we brought another 3, so there was 6 elders in the apartment for one night and that was crowded, but we had fun. So all I had to sleep with was my blanket, pillow and sheet and so I didn't sleep well, only like 3 hours at the most. And the other thing is that their apartment has cockroaches and so there was always the thought of that. Then the next day we found out that it wasn't going to be done in a week so we had to stay in Juncal for a week, so we worked with the office and they got us a mini moving truck and so we packed away a suitcase of stuff for a week and both of our mattresses and food to survive for a week. So that's what we did. It has been fine and we have been working out of there. So just the missionary life. haha
So I guess I'll tell you about the transfers. Elder Rose, the trainer of Elder Stocking and Elder Peacock (he arrived late because of visa troubles) left to go south to Rio Gallegos to be a ZL down there and so he found out last night and got all packed and they came and picked him up at 3 AM this morning. So exciting for him. Now Elder Stocking is going to stay because Elder Peacock left also. So for me, I'm staying with Elder Giannini for at least one more transfer in Palermo. So sorry Alex, no mountains for now. haha The next change will be right after Mother's Day. Wow, amazing how the time flies! Last transfer we had 115 total lessons with 4 baptisms and confirmations, so a pretty good 6 weeks. And no, I haven't been in the villa since I last told you, and me and my companion are getting along fine. (haha I'm writing in a Word doc which is in Spanish and so basically all of my words are underlined in red haha) Anyways, I'm getting along fine with Elder Giannini and we are going to be better this transfer. I'm really learning the language really fast and now I can have a basic conversation with almost anybody. My understanding is a lot better and I can basically understand what's being said. I've been working with this Spanish mini textbook every morning, working on my grammar, and just all around Spanish language study.
Alright, now about the questions from last week…no, I never print off the letters, but they are all saved in the email site. It would cost a lot to print them off every week so I just read them once and treasure every second. Yes, I changed the picture size from the 16:9 to a 4:3 so I'm glad that worked. Yes,the toe situation, it was painful. I still have pain when I press it down a certain way, but yes, I kind of knew what to do. I released the puss and cut out the nail as best as I could and yes, I put the cream on it. So it doesn't pain me anymore and I'm walking just fine. Yes,I did the carving. I added it to the array of drawings and carvings that are found on our desk. Mine is actually the most religious haha, just mostly saying baptize bro and a storm trooper helmet and a batman symbol. Haha It's just been here forever and hundreds of missionaries have used it. The shoes are mine and that was just after walking through the villa. But I shined them up real nice and the city streets don't make them that messy. The only thing that I have to worry about in this city is the dog poop that's everywhere on the sidewalks and in the streets. Let's just say it's a different culture down here. The haircut was 40 pesos, which is a lot, but it was sorely needed and was the lowest price that we found; the city is expensive. The pink stuff was a sort of dessert from powder that you can make by adding milk. My cooking time was limited this last week but Elder Stocking made some things like, deep fried treats that are really good. The cookie pieces were a sad attempt at a new cereal for me. I broke some cookie pieces and added milk and ate it like cereal but they got soggy super fast and it was nasty, but I was trying none the less. haha Oh, and the sweat shop is where the Vallejos family live and work. They make stuff for companies around here and they live 3 stories below so they don't get out much. That's the family that I took the picture with. Marta, the oldest, is the grandma and they are all from Bolivia. Mario and Pati are less actives and have two kids named Harold and Valentina. Martas is the other daughter. The one that I took the other picture with is named Maria. Then they have a good family friend named Edgar, he's the skinnier guy in the picture. So they are always really nice to us. Then the last Sunday of last transfer, back in February was the farewell of the elders going home and we got to go and watch. It was in the stake center in San Fernando so the members can come and say goodbye and the missionaries also. So that's what it was.
Ok, more questions and comments from this last email… Congrats Tanner on Mr. Hustle. haha Keep up the good work. And let's see, for prom you should do something that's not too crazy but not too dull and simple. Well, I guess simple is easy and always works. So maybe try something simple, I don't know, it's your adventure to figure out on your own. I asked with flowers both times, but do what you want. :) That's exciting for Dusty!! Wow, thanks for telling me because that's awesome, and Spanish speaking too! Yay, another friend on a mission. haha Oh, out of the two teachers I would pick Ha. I heard she was a good teacher. Then I would say chemistry, only because that’s what I took my sophomore year.
Alright, about my week… last p-day we went to the huge statue that's in the middle of two really big streets and took pictures. So Tuesday the coldness hit!! Well, for them down here, it was like 65 degrees or something like that, and it was funny to see everyone walking around with their big huge winter coats and all bundled up to take on the cold wind. haha But down here that's a cold temperature, for them, but it didn't affect me, though that night I wore a sweater just to make it more comfortable. :)
So we are teaching this man from Holland, the American-looking man, his name is Eddy K. super long and Holland-ish name haha. He has been investigating the church since the last general conference in October. He has to take care of some problems from the past, but if all goes well, he should be baptized the end of May, which is really big news. It's so fun to see the change the gospel brings to peoples' lives. Eddy, who is basically a member,because he watched all the sessions of conference and went on his own to the Priesthood session. Then with Marializ, yes the baptism for her happened in 3 days. We were sitting there in weekly planning and we were like, why can't we baptize her? She's not married and isn't living with him right now, so we got the ok from the ZL's and we made arrangements for her interview that night. Then we made all the arrangements for the baptism and baptized her Saturday night the 24th. It was really special because she was really prepared and is eating up everything about the gospel, just like her mom. They have the spirit with them and they are always so happy around us. The man that baptized her helped teach with us a lot and it was his first time to baptize someone, so that was special and he was really excited to do it. :)
So now that we've baptized all of our fechas we are working really hard to get some more. We have some possibilities, but none that are right around the corner, well at least not yet, but we have faith that the field is white already to harvest. We are working with this 17 year old young man named Brian. He's a previous investigator that we found in the book that has been listening to us again. Then Juan, we haven't had another cita with him, we had the one with him and he's really confused about religion right now. He has read more than 15 different forms of the Bible and so now we have to see whether he read any from the Book of Mormon. Then after that there really isn't that much right now, so we are going to go off of the counsel of our president that the converts are the way to find new investigators. So we are going to focus on that this week. Jorge is really excited to share and learn more. We actually had Marializ's husband, Victor, come to the Sunday morning session, he came for the weekend. Then we have to work with Jeffer also.
So Friday night I bought ice cream for the first time down here to end the month and the transfer, and it's good I guess, haha, I miss the American made stuff but that will have to wait. haha Then I also decided that my team for soccer down here is River Plate, sounds just like it's written, which is funny. haha The only reason I chose that team is because of the initials RP. :)
So I now want to bear my testimony that I know that this church is true! That we indeed have a living prophet and his apostles that are on the Earth today. You can just see it in their eyes when they are testifying of Jesus and his saving power. This last conference increased my testimony a full ("a fool" --which means a lot haha) of my belief in God and Jesus Christ and His love that He has for me and all of His children on the Earth and especially in Buenos Aires. I have seen His love shown through me as I have born testimony and have brought people to baptism. I am really grateful for this opportunity to serve and I can't believe that I have already been on my mission for 5 months, and almost a fourth of the way done, already!
I love each one of you and feel your prayers and support. Thanks to other family and friends that think of me a lot. I will try and write some letters when I have the time, but just know that I miss all of you and I'm thinking of you always. Have a great week and I can't wait to read next week's letter. I love each and every one of you so much and you are all growing up so fast. I can't wait to receive the package, and I hope that I can get it soon because it might sit for a while haha, but thanks again. I can't wait to get more pictures and letters as always. The work goes on, I'm part of that stone cut out of a mountain, we are all a part of it. Share it whenever you get the chance, there are people everywhere that are prepared to receive you, like it says in Alma 24:13, the hearts of men are being prepared to receive the Word of God.
Hasta la semana que viene, (until next week)
Love,
Elder Ryan Pittard
Oh and happy Easter too, Christ lives!!
No comments:
Post a Comment