Sunday, December 25, 2011

A Christmas Surprise

Hey there Familia!!!!

Oh I love you all so very much and I loved receiving all of your gifts and treats and love this Christmas. We were given the oppurtunity to email our families on Christmas instead of calling :) So here I am. :)

We just had a wonderful devotional/sacrament meeting. This morning we woke up and opened all of our gifts that our district had received. Earlier this month, we decided to do a secret Santa sort of thing for everyone in the district--to make or buy a present for someone else in the district. I received a representation that Elder Pace had made of the el plan de salvation por supuesto en espanol. I gave Elder Paxman some really cool colored pens that I had figured out that he had really wanted, so it was all good. :) Then I opened your gift and loved both of them very much and I have loved receiving all of the gifts from these last 12 days. :) But presents aren't the main focus of today, I'm so glad to be here at the MTC on Christmas Day. The Spirit has been so strong and I have had an awesome experience these last two days and still many more to come!! Last night we had a big reinactment of the nativity with a bunch of elders and sisters dressed up and we sang songs as a whole MTC and it was awesome. Then we watched A Christmas Carol, one made in the 80's I think and it was cool because that was one of the books that President Monson had said that was one of his favorites. We had popcorn and so that was fun. :) Then this morning, after cold cereal for breakfast, haha we watched Music and the Spoken Word from Temple Square with the Tabernacle Choir and the orchestra and bells. I don't know if you watched it or not but it was really good and reminded me of when we sang songs on Christmas Eve and Day. Then the best of it all was that we were able to have sacrament meeting with Elder David A. Bednar! All 2120 of us missionaries squeezed into the gym and had a huge sacrament meeting. Then he and his wife spoke to us and gave wonderful talks. (Sorry so many people are emailing at the same time and so my typing freezes for a moment, but I'm still able to type and so sorry if I mess up any words) haha :) Alright, so Elder Bednar basically told us that we need to forget ourselves and go to work. He gave us 3 examples of when Christ in His life could have easily turned inward on himself and not have had compassion on anyone else. But He chose to turn outwards as He always did, and so we need to forget to look inwards on ourselves and look towards others and serve them and have compassion on them. He said that this mission is not about you. It's about serving Him. Then he talked about our testimonies and our own conversion. He said that if we go through this mission with only gaining and sustaining that testimony that we will have a more likely chance to fall away from the church. But like in Alma 23:5-6 where the Lamanites were not only brought unto the knowledge of the Lord but they were converted also. So conversion is turning away from the natural man, which is an enemy to God (Mosiah 3:19), and becoming consistently true to what we know we have gained from our testimony. Elder Bednar challenged each of us to not only learn about Christ but to learn of Christ.

I want to share my personal testimony and hopefully soon to be conversion, especially as I'm now down to two weeks until I'm in the country of Argentina. I know that my Redeemer lives and that He is my Savior. Around this time of year people forget the true meaning of Christmas. Jesus not only should be the center of our Christmas , but also of our entire life. He has given everything to us and I am eternally blessed to have that love and compassion from Him at this time. Right now I'm preparing to serve Him, my Master, for 2 small years of my existence and I know that I'm in the right place. I've loved receiving your letters and hearing about how life around the house is definitely going well. :) I want to thank each of you for your wonderful testimonies and the examples you have been to me. I am so honored and I love you all so dearly! I don't know what you guys have done so far today, I'm assuming that you guys have either opened presents already or you're having to wait till after Sacrament meeting. Maybe the meeting for you guys was earlier today. Whatever it is just try and remember the Savior on this holy day. Presents are definitely fun and I have always loved receiving them but what can you guys do today to serve each other? What can you guys do today and the upcoming weeks to serve others and be a good example to your brothers and sisters? Just remember Ryan out serving the people of Argentina everyday and try and be like him! :) One day all of you, my brothers, will have this same oppurtunity to share your testimony with the world about how Christ lives and his true Church is once again on the earth today! Build your testimony now every chance you get and the time you sacrifice now will only bless you in the years to come. Never forget why you came to this earth and always be grateful for being born into this great knowledge. You guys have it easy in life--you're not in darkness and you don't have to be found. But that still doesn't mean that you'll be perfect. You'll make mistakes and just know that Heavenly Father loves you and is always looking out for you. I wish I had realized that earlier in life and had come unto Christ sooner in my life. I would've been blessed so much more and even been more prepared for this mission. Just know that I love you and that Mom and Dad love you and they are only trying to help.

Thanks Mom and Dad for all of the years you have served not only me but also our family. You have given up earthly treasures for 7 eternal treasures and I thank you for your wonderful testimonies that you have provided, not only for me but for many people that you have touched in your life. Dad, keep doing what you're doing, you know what is best and you have always given the best counsel and so with whatever thing or advice that you ask from me, I just say, go to the Lord and do what you do. Mom, thanks for always being the wonderful mom that you are. Thanks for always being so selfless and looking to serve others before yourself. I'm so grateful for your love and a life of devotion that you have given me. When I saw that picture of us hugging on the 9th almost two months ago, the tears started to swell up and I just remembered the love that you have for me. haha crying in the computer lab. :) Just remember that Heavenly Father is eternally grateful for the service that you are doing for Him and for your children. They will all be strong leaders in the Church and will always remember your name with love and gratitude. Now for the whole family, I know that you miss me and I miss you so much!! Just promise that you'll stay strong in the Gospel and keep on living your lives the way that God wants you to. I promise that God will bless you for living in line with the will of God. Never forget to pray and always, always, always tell Mom and Dad that you love them and also tell your brothers and sisters that you love them. Do that right now and do it every morning and night. I promise that there will be an even greater love and spirit in your home and I know Heavenly Father will bless you and will be pleased with you. My time is short and I will write more tomorrow from my large plates, hopefully you've enjoyed some of my small plates and I look forward to hearing from you.

I love you so much and I know that Christ lives!!!
Elder Ryan Pittard

No comments:

Post a Comment